Last edit: 28/06/2023
The purpose of the standard EN IEC 61439-2 (low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies) is to harmonize as far as practicable all rules and requirements of a general nature applicable to low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies (focus on power center) in order to obtain uniformity of requirements and verification for assemblies and to avoid the need for verification to other standards.
EN IEC 61439-1 includes all prescriptions which could be considered common.
For each type of assembly that falls on this series of Standard, only two main standards are necessary:
– EN IEC 61439-1: General rules
– The specific assembly standard (Part 2; 3; 4; 5; 6).
The EN IEC 61439 includes the following parts:
a) IEC 61439-1: General rules
b) IEC 61439-2: Power switchgear and controlgear assemblies
c) IEC 61439-3: Distribution boards
d) IEC 61439-4: Assemblies for construction sites
e) IEC 61439-5: Assemblies for power distribution
f) IEC 61439-6: Busbar trunking system
This part of the IEC 61439 series lays down the definitions and states the service conditions, construction requirements, technical characteristics and verification requirements for low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies. An assembly could not be certified to this only standard because it is not “complete”: it needs one of the other 5 standards. For example, EN IEC 61439-2 is the product standard for switchgear, which relies considerably on EN IEC 61439-1.
The EN IEC 61439-1 applies to low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies only when required by the relevant assembly standard as follows:
– Assemblies for which the rated voltage does not exceed 1000 V of a.c. or 1500 V in case of d.c.;
– Stationary or movable assemblies with or without enclosure;
– Assemblies designed for use in connection with the generation, transmission, distribution and conversion of electric energy, and for the control of electric energy consuming equipment;
– Assemblies designed for use under special service condition, for example in ships and in rail vehicles provided that the other relevant specific requirements are complied with;
– Assemblies designed for electrical equipment of machines provided that the other relevant specific requirements are complied with.
This standard applies to all assemblies whether they are designed, manufactured and verified on a one-off basis or fully standardized and manufactured in quantity.